Summer Petting Zoo Volunteer Orientation
Are you or your child interested in being a summer volunteer at the petting zoo? We're currently seeking volunteers who will attend orientation on June 23, 2018.
It is important to realize that animal care can be difficult and dangerous, but also incredibly rewarding. In order to maintain the most up-to-date knowledge on the individuals in the petting zoo, volunteers are expected to commit to a minimum of 1½-2 hours weekly.
Volunteers are expected to work independently on assigned tasks and are responsible for completing all duties within a certain time frame (before closing).
Your safety is our first priority. For that reason, listed below are just a few of the cautions that must be taken before choosing to volunteer.
- need to be able to lift 45 lbs
- come in contact with feces, chemical cleaners, or medications
- be kicked, bitten, or scratched
- use and wash sharp knives
- drive a Gator (when approved by staff)
MIN. AGE: 15 years and up
MIN. WEEKLY TIME: 1 1/2 - 2 hours
(Minors will require a parent's signature on our volunteer agreement form, provided at orientation.)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!
There are many benefits to working with animals, as well as working at the Olentangy Indian Caverns.
During the work shift, volunteers will have:
- exclusive access to behind-the-scenes areas not open to the public
- free admission to the caverns for themselves and immediate family
- discounted gift shop merchandise
Volunteers will not receive monetary compensation or be able to transfer benefits to others while working.